Thursday, October 8, 2009

Changing the Font Size of the Eclipse IDE Project Explorer on a Ubuntu GNOME system

Just a small tidbit for you guys.

I am an Eclipse user, and have been doing just fine with it. However, I just started working on a project that happened to have VERY long Java classnames. This was a problem because I like having the Eclipse Project Explorer on the left hand side of my screen (the default for the Java perspective). But by placing it there, the long classnames would be too wide to read well.

I decided to shrink the font. I used the Eclipse IDE menu Window->Preferences->General->Appearance->Colors and Fonts dialog. I could shrink my Java editor font, but not the Project Explorer font. Eh. Now what.

eclipseProjectExplorerFont

Google gave me the answer. The Project Explorer font is inherited from the OS font. The downside of this is that you have to change it for your whole OS. The good side is you may want to do this anyway, and just never bothered. :)

Go to System->Preferences->Appearance and click on the Fonts tab. Change the Applications font, which applies to apps like your File Browser and Eclipse.

gnomeFont

Done.

1 comment: