Thursday, January 14, 2010

Diagnosing slow system start time on Linux with Bootchart

I am probably the last one to this party, but I found this to be cool enough to post.

While my Ubuntu isn’t Windows slow, it is starting to get a bit pokey on startup. I have installed a lot of crap, but most are apps and libraries which shouldn’t affect start time.

I wasn’t actively looking for a solution, but saw mention of Bootchart and thought I’d give it a quick whirl. Its a nice tool. It not only collects data on where time is spent on boot, but it graphs it in a really nice chart.

The reason I think I might be the last to the party on this is that Bootchart has been around for some time – since 2005. It has had time to polish and it is sweet.

In a nutshell, you install it on your machine. It installs itself early on into the init.d chain, and then monitors /proc to see what’s cooking. It collects data on disk usage and CPU usage. Once booted, it then renders a nice image of the boot sequence into /var/log/bootchart.

Below is a snapshot of my boot (hmmm, that’s probably a NSFW statement in some countries). It takes about a minute. I didn’t find anything totally whack on my machine. The main area of optimization would be to not have Postgres start on boot. But, its only about 5 seconds, and I do use it, so I don’t think I am going to do modify that.

Another suspect is Ubuntu One, which is a Dropbox style file sync utility. Its even tech fanboy compatible – you can see that it launches couchdb. I rely on this for my backup strategy, so its an easy decision to keep this one too.

OK, so here it is.

plaird-laptop-karmic-20100114-6

No comments:

Post a Comment