Thursday, May 13, 2010

Installing SnapLogic Community Edition 2.1.0 on Ubuntu 8.10 in 5 minutes

If you read my last post, you would know that I hit a snag running the community edition of SnapLogic 2.2. There appears to be a hard dependency on a license check (see ticket 2449). Since I have no idea how long that will take to resolve, I decided to find a way around the problem.

I chose to roll back to version 2.1.0. But in doing so, I had some struggles. SnapLogic 2.1.0 is based on Python 2.5.x and related components. My Ubuntu 10.04 install uses Python 2.6.x, and the 2.5.x stuff has been removed from the Ubuntu repositories.

After trying some minor hackery to get P2.5.x on U10.04 (building stuff from source), I gave up at trying to get the dependencies resolved. Instead, I just plopped down a new Ubuntu 8.10 VM on my machine, and got things going pretty quickly.

These are my notes. By the way, the 5 minutes I reference in the title is just for the SnapLogic install. Installing and updating Ubuntu takes about an hour, depending on network speeds.

  • Install 8.10
    • Download a VDI and install into VirtualBox, or
    • Do a bare metal install (e.g. dual boot)
  • Update your OS
    • 368 updates and counting as of today
    • Make sure not to upgrade Python beyond 2.5.x
    • Reboot
  • Download SnapLogic 2.1.0
  • Launch the SnapLogic installer
    • chmod u+x [blahblah.bin]
    • It will inform you what is missing from prereqs
  • Install the missing prereqs
    • Launch Synaptic Package Manager, and install:
    • python2.5-dev
    • libmysqlclient15-dev
    • libxml2-dev
    • libxslt1-dev
  • Rerun SnapLogic installer
    • Accept all defaults
    • Password is password
    • Elect to start up the servers at the end
  • Install Flash Plugin for Firefox
  • Navigate to the Designer UI
    • http://[hostname]:8081/
    • Open the Leads_to_Prospects Pipeline
    • Select the Run tab
    • Run the pipeline (this is where SL 2.2 fails for me)
    • Success!

 

SLDesigner

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment