Monday, February 14, 2011

X10 – Compact Fluorescents (CFLs) Support and X10 Modules – Part 6

This is part 6 of my X10 blog series.

I have already covered a couple of lighting topics in my X10 series. In my last post, I talked through the steps of setting up an X10 SocketRocket using ActiveHomePro. In another previous post, I discussed how to setup up a Lamp Module. But I haven’t yet specifically talked about CFLs and X10, and how they play together (and don’t).

X10 SocketRocket with CFL

The key thing is that X10 supports CFLs if you have the right gear. For me, its been a bit of a research project to figure out what I need, and also what I might be able to get away with.

Why CFLs are Important for X10 Applications

As I started to think about what lights I wanted to automate with my X10 system, I quickly realized that the lights needing automation were these types of lights:

  • Security/outdoor lights that need to be on at night
  • Indoor hallway lights that I want to conveniently turn off with one button press before going to bed
  • Indoor basement lights that I want to turn off proactively in case someone left them on  

In all cases, these are lights that will be on for extended periods of time. As such, they are ideal candidates for CFLs to save energy. And I think my use cases are common, so CFL support is critical to X10.

Support for CFLs with X10 Modules

At this point in my journey, I do not have definitive answers about this topic. There is the official guidance and official support statements, and then user forum postings that sometimes claim something different. I apologize for not having definitive answers, but I wanted to post this to record this as an important topic in the learning process. I hope to follow up later with more information if it differs from what is below.

In general, I assume a module does not support CFL unless explicitly stated otherwise. In fact, modules will explicitly deny support for CFLs unless they do, which is helpful.

For example, modules that explicitly do not support CFL:

  • Lamp Module LM465
    • Label disclaimer: “For indoor incandescent lamps only
  • Light switches WS467 and WS12A
    • X10 Wiki: “(WS467 and WS12A) should NOT be used”
  • SocketRocket LM15a

And then there are those that explicitly support CFL:

  • Appliance Module AM466
    • X10.com Adware: “This simple plug-n-play module lets you control normal lamps, CFL lamps, fans, radios, coffee pots…”
    • Use instead of LM465
  • Light switches WS13a and XPS3
    • X10 Wiki: “To control fluorescent fixtures use the X10 Non-dimming Decorator Wall Switch (WS13A) or X10 Pro Non-dimming Wall Switch (XPS3)”
  • Socket module
    • There does not appear to be an inline-socket solution, probably due to the 2 wire nature of a socket (see next section)

Engineering Explanation

The X10 wiki provides a good explanation of the reason why CFL support with X10 is an issue:

“The main reason why standard X10 wall switch modules cannot be used to control a fluorescent fixture is because it is a two-wire device and is therefore wired in series with the load. The control signals which are transmitted onto your house wiring have to pass through the incandescent lamp (load). However, a fluorescent light contains a ballast which acts as a block to the X10 signals and makes it impossible to control the switch remotely. Also, this ballast is an inductive load (a coil), and controlling such a load could permanently damage the wall switch module. This is why the standard X10 wall switches (WS467 and WS12A) should NOT be used to control any kind of appliance (such as a ceiling fan).”

Conclusion

The bottom line is that CFLs can cause issues with any two wire module, but may not always. I suppose it is up to the homeowner to decide whether to use the two wire modules and see what happens.

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment