Monday, February 14, 2011

X10 – Noise and Phase Coupling Issues – Part 7

This is part 7 of my X10 blog series.

Parts 1 through 6 of this series has documented my initial installation and configuration of my X10 system and devices. I have been covering these topics and issues in the order in which I have encountered them. For anyone wishing to follow this same path in their own implementation, this order is important.

First, the Good News

In the order of events, at this point you should have a working system with a couple of modules if your experience is like mine. This is good.

Now, the Bad News

Likewise, if your experience is like mine, now is about the time you need to build an awareness of two systemic issues with X10 systems. Since I am still learning myself, I cannot say for certain that I have been afflicted by them. But the evidence is strong.

First, try to understand the issues at a high level:

In a nutshell, both contribute to signal strength issues. When in play, both will unpredictably affect how well your modules can hear the controller signals. Either it will be an utter failure (which, I would prefer), or will cause random (and frustrating) failures.

Wimp out for now

Now that you have a high level awareness under your belt, I would recommend strategies to avoid them until we progress (you and me both!) further in our implementation before we eventually diagnose and implement solutions for them.

Strategies I am currently using to keep things simple:

  • Pay attention to what household appliances are operating while you test. Vacuum cleaner? Dryer? Try to test during “quiet” electrical periods.
  • Locate your module under test in the same room as your controller while testing. I know this isn’t realistic for actual deployment, but its good to eliminate noise as much as possible.
  • Rinse and repeat. When something works, try it several more times before declaring success. Wait for 15 minutes, and then try again.
  • Be anal in your methodology. Its no fun to waste minutes pointlessly clicking buttons in ActiveHomePro only to find out a light bulb is burned out. Test your device prior to integrating with a module.
  • Steer clear of advanced use cases, such as CFL or 220V appliances.

Trouble

So that we can compare notes, here are the issues I have hit. I haven’t done a full troubleshooting exercise yet, so these are unconfirmed diagnosis.

As a basis of understanding, my “test room” is my home office in my basement. My controller, ActiveHomePro computer, and modules are first deployed here and tested. I have no issues currently getting any module to work inside the room. Outside of the room….

  • Phase Coupling Issue?
    • When I moved a SocketRocket to an upstairs lamp, it stopped responding completely.
  • Noise Issue?
    • When I moved the SocketRocket to a light socket outside of the test room in the basement, it sometimes works, sometimes not.

 

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment